Monday, May 16, 2011

Costa Rica Day 8
Another beautiful day from Heredia! Today had the same routine as most days since I have been here. Same breakfast [but it’s still delicious so I don’t really mind]. I talked with my mamatica this morning and told her about my adventurous upcoming weekend. After breakfast, I walked to school to find that I had not only another new classroom, but a new teacher this week as well. I have to admit, learning this first thing in the morning made me kinda nervous. As I said yesterday, I never know what to expect.. and this double change this morning was definitely not what I had in mind to start the week. However, everything does happen for a reason and I absolutely adore my new teacher. She is extremely nice and patient. She understands that I am here to learn, not because I already know everything. This week, its only me and another guy in the class. We have a much larger classroom complete with an overhead ceiling fan… another answered prayer!
It wasn’t that I didn’t like my teacher before, she was very nice too. But she was much younger and not as friendly. She occasionally got frustrated with my class when we didn’t understand things. And activities were always done on our own, whether we understood them or not. My new teacher is an older lady and it is easy to tell that she really cares about her students. She brings the motherly-vibe into the classroom. I hope the rest of this week goes as well as today. This was a great start to hopefully another successful week in Heredia.
After class today, I joined fellow West Georgians at a restaurant a block from the school called Nachos. This place reminds me of something similar to a Taco-Mac in the States. It’s a sports bar and grill complete with a nice patio and flat screen tvs. The food is also more Americanized than most places I have visited. So on the menu for lunch today, was a grilled chicken and cheese quesadilla! Yum yum! We sat at the restaurant for a little over an hour and talked about our classes and our remaining twenty days in Costa Rica. I was never worried about this part of the trip, the whole making new friends part. I tend to get along with just about anyone, so I knew that making new friends would be easy and a necessity to survive this 4 week journey. I have enjoyed getting to know everyone so far, and I know the next twenty days will be well spent with this rowdy bunch.
This afternoon, I continued reading my book that I brought from home. I have found that reading after class is something that I really like to do. During the first couple of days, I would always work on homework and study as soon as I got back to the house… but that quickly became frustrating as it felt like I was constantly studying, writing, and speaking Spanish. Which I am when surrounded by people… but I have discovered that reading my book after class relaxes me a little and gives my brain time to process everything from class. It’s become some well spent “me time” over the past week. The only problem, I’m almost done with my book! Maybe I’ll look around for a book store and pray they have some good English books available!
I had a wonderful Skype date with my mom and nana tonight. Nana was fascinated that she could see and talk to me while I’m in another country. It was really great to see her too. I’m sure that she has been worrying about me, so maybe actually seeing and hearing from me will ease some of that. After my dinner tonight, which consisted of a weird mixture of foods…. Grilled fish, potatoes, bananas, and chips… I got to talk to my dad on Skype as well. It’s so great seeing and hearing from my parents now. I’m thankful that the Skype thing is beginning to work out after all.
1 year ago today, a remarkable young girl was received by God. Today, marks the one year milestone of Sammie Jones’ death. Please keep the Jones family in your thoughts and prayers as I can’t imagine the hurt they are still enduring every day. Sammie is continuing to touch lives around the LaGrange Academy family.
Also a big congratulations to my friend, Alex for being hired as Springwood for the Fall!! She will be teaching k-6th PE and received the title as Head Softball Coach. Couldn’t be more excited and proud for her! It’s been a rough year for her, but good things come to those who wait. So congratulations Alex! I miss you and love you!
That’s all I have for today. It has been a typical Monday. Somewhat slow and boring… but it was a great start to the week. Only 4 more days until this week is over and then I’m off on another adventurous weekend! Thank you for all the continuous thoughts and prayers! Only 20 more days to go!
“Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. –Jean Picard

No comments:

Post a Comment