Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Costa Rica Day 22
This is a blog post from Monday.
After a long weekend of traveling and relaxing on the beach, things have returned to normal in here in Heredia, Costa Rica. I am proud to announce that today I started my 4th and final week of class in Costa Rica. What an amazing feeling! As my time here is winding down, I am becoming more and more anxious to return to the States. I miss everyone so much right now and as weird as it seems, I feel like the closer I get to coming home, the more I miss everyone. Stepping off that plane and seeing the familiar, loving faces of my family will likely be one of the most exciting moments of my life. And although I hate to admit it, I’m sure I’ll shed a few tears that Sunday night.
Breakfast also returned to normal. A delicious plate of fruit followed by a ham and cheese sandwich. I guess it’s a good thing that I like to stick to what I like, other wise… the same breakfast would of gotten old by now. But I breath a sigh of relief each morning when I walk downstairs and see a delicious and colorful plate of fruit.
Starting a new week of class, of course I got a new teacher and classroom. However, this might be the most fun week so far. My teacher this week is a guy and well.. to put it nicely.. he swings the other way. But he is awesome and I love him already. I also have a bigger class this week… including 3 other Greeks!!! And that’s not even the best part… there are three girls here from North Carolina that are Alpha Xi Deltas. I could not believe my eyes the first day I saw their letters. What an amazing feeling… to be thousands of miles away from home… and to automatically feel a connection with someone without even knowing their names. They are extremely nice girls and I happen to be spending this last week in class with 2 of them and 1 Pi Kapp. Kinda ironic, right? So needless to say, we definitely have the best class this week and we spend the majority of class time teaching our teacher slang words in English. He is doing quite well and is currently keeping a running list of words to practice in English. I feel like this is going to be a great week to end my journey with. Only 6 more days…
After class today, Samantha and I went to the mall. No worries Dad, I didn’t buy any clothes, shoes, jewelry, or other accessories. My only purchase for the day… a book. A Nicholas Sparks book to be exact. The Rescue… here’s the short version written on the back of the book:

“Volunteer fireman Taylor McAden is driven to take terrifying, heroic risks to save lives. But there’s one leap into the unknown he can’t bring himself to make: He can’t fall in love. A man who likes to rescue troubled women, he inevitably leaves them as soon as they want something more from him. Then, one day, a record-breaking storm hits his small-southern town. In his attempt to rescue a woman named Denise Holton, it requires him to open doors to his past slammed shut by pain. And with Denise’s help, dare him to make the greatest commitment of all: to love someone forever.”
If you know anything about my past, you’d know that as soon as I saw the words volunteer fireman, love, small town… I reluctantly put the book back down. But after scanning over other books in the English section, I picked it back up and read the first insert… I was immediately hooked wanting to turn the pages before I could purchase it. So this book is my new obsession on this journey. It's my new love since I can't stay on the beach with the monkeys... so  I’ll keep you updated on all the details of this sure-to-be, tear-jerker love story.
After dinner last night, which was delicious delicious plantains, I got ready and met some friends downtown to celebrate Kim’s birthday! We had a great time and I’m sure going to miss hanging out with these people. I have met some great people from North Carolina and I hope to keep in touch with all of them as we part ways this Sunday. I’m not sure why it surprises me that I have made close relationships with these people… It’s very easy for me to form bonds with people… but I guess coming here, I imagined being lonely and depressed about missing all the people and things that I love. Thank goodness I have met all of these wonderful people to feel the void of missing home.
So all in all.. Monday was a typical Monday. Getting back into the swing of things. School work and homework. Regular routine again… I’m not in paradise anymore… But that means, I’m one step closer to coming home, the place where I belong J

No comments:

Post a Comment