Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Costa Rica Day 17
I have been instructed by my parents to post no more sad blogs. So I apologize for any tear drops you lost due to reading my previous post. I just felt an extreme longing for home last night as I was writing the post and I didn’t want to leave that great emotion out. I haven’t felt extremely homesick yet, and I would say that last night was the first time I got really sad. But the good news? I’m another day down here in Costa Rica. 11 days… so close to single digits. So here is a review of my day.
I haven’t really mentioned the other student that is living here. Mainly because I don’t really talk to her. She is from Germany and is studying for an entire year in Costa Rica. She will be living in different parts observing the different customs throughout the country. She is doing all of this research for her doctorate, which needless to say, makes her a very boring person. The only time she ever leaves her room is to eat and go to the bathroom. Which brings me to my first point I want to rant about. She does absolutely nothing all day everyday… but she still has to get up at the exact same time and occupy the shower upstairs. I don’t know why this gets on my nerves so bad… but every morning I try to go to that shower, she is always in there. I just want to ask her if she can wait 15 minutes so I can shower since I actually do something with my life everyday besides sit in my room. Of course I could go downstairs and shower, but it’s such a hassle in the mornings. I much rather prefer walking the 10 steps to the bathroom and showering there. 11 days. 11 days.
So now that my vent session is over. The day started out normal here in Heredia. Typical breakfast complete with fruit and a sandwich. I walked to class this morning and it was hotter than normal. Today gave me confirmation of why I don’t even bother doing my hair in the mornings. I was sweating within 15 feet from the house after I left. Thank goodness my class has a fan in it this week. Speaking of class… it went pretty well today. We started the class by going over our homework and completing a few other exercises in class. For some weird reason, a chapter in our book covers superstitions and ghosts. My class had to make up our very own scary story today and present it. We spent about an hour creating the story and then presented it to another class down the hall. Our next task for the day was to create a story line using magazines. We made up our own stories and then cut out pictures and words to add emphasis to the story. I’m not really sure why this class is all about crafting… I feel like I haven’t really learned anything this week. And the one new thing we have covered, the teacher makes it way more difficult than it needs to be… so everyday I leave confused and then figure things out on my own later. But one thing about it…. Craft time definitely beats class time! And on the agenda for tomorrow? My class is watching a scary movie in Spanish! Yes! We are all bringing snacks and drinks for a mini party. I am in charge of drinks, which I forgot to grab after class today so it looks like I’ll be getting up a little earlier in the morning to run by the supermarket before class.
After class today, I grabbed a quick lunch and brought it back to the house. I didn’t feel like going anywhere to sit down so we kinda just all split up today and did our own thing. I grabbed a pan con pollo… which I had no idea what it was when I picked it out… but it turned out to be a lot like a hot-pocket.. but better! That was a nice surprise.
After returning to the house this afternoon, I worked on some homework, talked with Bree for a majority of the day. She always gets really bored at work so I like to keep her company… even when I am not 1,000+ miles away. I listened to some good music and made an awesome summer playlist. I also did some online shopping today. [Sorry Dad]. If you like your bank account the way it is, then I encourage you to stay away from Old Navy. Ahhhh!! I love all of their summer stuff right now! Precious shorts on sale for $16 and a lot of cute, new styles just in time for those summer nights. I think this is one of the few times that I’ve actually wanted to go to work when I get back to Carrollton…but only for that money to be bought on the adorable things I already have saved in my basket online J
Dinner tonight was not soup!! Yay!! I had a delicious piece of grilled fish with pico de gallo, pinto beans, and plantains. I think the grilled plantains are probably one of the biggest things I will miss about Costa Rica. I get them at every restaurant that serves them. They are so delicious! Maybe I’ll bring back a recipe… or maybe my mom will just make them for me [hint hint].  After dinner, I skyped with Bree for a little while. There is just something about this girl that always puts a smile on my face. I look forward to talking to her and getting wall posts from her everyday. I can’t wait to see her beautiful face when I get home. We have so many summer plans and I know that the remaining 2 months of summer will be well spent together. Not a day goes by that we don’t laugh together, and that’s something that I know will never change. Thank you God for blessing me with the most amazing little sister I could have ever asked for.
Just one quote for today…
“Home is the place you grow up wanting to leave, and grow old wanting to get back to.” –John Pearce
Isn’t it weird that we spend the majority of the years growing up wishing we could leave home and explore the world? But little did I know then, that I would someday get that amazing opportunity. And now, as I am sitting miles and miles away from home… I know that my heart only belongs in one place. I’m definitely wanting to get back home… but in the end, I know that this journey is something that I wouldn’t trade for anything. It was the chance of a lifetime and I am so thankful that I was able to chase this dream. Thank you to all of my family and friends that have been so supportive on this adventure. You all have made it easier being away from home with encouraging words, thoughts, and many prayers. I have learned so much about myself that I never thought I would discover. I am more grateful for the things I have and a little less worried about the things that I don’t. I am a firm believer in “everything happens for a reason” and this journey has given me further confirmation of that.
And perhaps one of the most important things I have learned since being here: no place on earth feels as good as being surrounded by the ones you love the most.
That’s all for today. I hope everyone had an amazing day! We’re so close to the weekend… only 2 more days until I’m off on another adventure… and this time, it’s the beautiful beaches at Manuel Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment