Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Costa Rica Day 10
Ten…. I’m in the double digits!
I started off the day with another freezing cold shower. I’ve thought about asking if I am doing something wrong with the water, but then I figure… if she says no, then it’s going to look like I’m complaining… So I’ll just keep saying a little prayer every morning and hoping for the best as my alarm goes off. Breakfast was back to normal this morning. Pineapple, banana, melon and delicious scrambled eggs with cheese and ham. On my plate was also two lovely black pieces of toast that I decided against eating… once again. After I got ready, I headed to school. This morning was not as hot as previous walks. There was a nice breeze and partial clouds filled the sky.
I arrived to school right on time and headed upstairs to my classroom. I am always glad to see  my same teacher in the room, as I have said before… class is somewhat of a guessing game, including teachers and classrooms. This week has gone by so fast. I am happy because I’m one step closer to coming home but I’m also a little sad because I have actually enjoyed class this week. I feel way more confident speaking in class and have improved a lot throughout the week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe I will have the same sweet lady next week too.
During one of our breaks this morning, some other students and I were trying to make lunch plans. None of our regular places sounded very appetizing, so we agreed that we would give the whole food court thing in the mall a try. We arranged to have taxis pick us up after class and 8 of us filled up the cars. As we pulled into the parking lot, I was instantly impressed by the beautiful building and outside attractions. But little did I know, as we entered the mall, I would have a new favorite place in Heredia. This mall is simply gorgeous. It has three floors and beautiful fountains and decorations throughout. We walked around for a little while and then decided that we would go ahead and eat lunch before we explored the mall. So on today’s lunch menu…. Pizza Hut!! I can’t even begin to describe how excited I was to see different places I recognized. The pizza was fabulous. I would even go as far to say that it possibly, might be, the best I have ever had… but then again, anything American was going to be the best I had ever had. After lunch, we decided on a meeting place and time… and just like that, I was off! One of my absolute favorite things in the entire world… shopping! I could most likely shop all day every day if my bank account had an unlimited supply of funds. Ahhhh! I was in shoppers heaven today! [Dad, you might want to skip down to the next paragraph… or if you keep reading, I apologize in advance] All the stores and clothing I had imagined finding in Costa Rica had been absent on this trip until now. The first store we went in… I found a top like I have been wanting for some time. An adorable one shoulder top, seafoam green, with a bow on the shoulder. Absolutely precious! I tried on a few other things but only fell in love with 3 items… this is really good for me, so actually you all should be proud. However, my only intentions were to go there for lunch so I only had lunch money with me. I did scrape up enough change [$2] to buy a precious necklace at a jewelry store. This store puts Claire’s and Charming Charlies to shame. Great, trendy jewelry for an extremely, unbeatable low price. My nana would have had a field day in this store. I’m sure we would still be there right now, and I am completely fine with that idea! I plan on making a return visit to the mall tomorrow to snag that great top and possibly a few other things! But then I started thinking… do I really love that top? Or do I love the fact that no one else in America is likely to have it. Not to sound like a spoiled rotten American, but I like the fact that none of my friends are likely to ever have the same things I buy here. All suggestions are welcome. To buy the clothes or not to buy the clothes?! That is the question for tonight. Either way, spending time in a real mall today was great! And for one of the few times on this trip, I didn’t feel out of place at all. Actually, right at home!
Isn’t it funny how the smallest things can completely make your day? I’ve noticed that a lot recently. Maybe because I am constantly looking for things to keep me motivated on this journey. Some days I am disappointed and some days I find joy in something small. Today, a simple shopping trip gave me joy. Similar to playing or watching any sporting event usually does. But today… it was the simple fact of being somewhere that I feel right at home. Somewhere that I love.
This evening, we were suppose to attend a Futbol game… or in America… a soccer game. However, the “dome” here is not exactly a dome at all. The stadium is considered a dome but does not have a covering over it. The bottom fell out this afternoon so sitting in pouring rain watching one of my least favorite sports just did not seem like a great idea. The next best thing? Sitting at a restaurant and bar with new friends.
Today has been a pretty great day so far. I feel a new sense of happiness and I hope it continues for the remaining days of the trip. I’m still holding off on the homesick feeling so pray that this also continues. Another great Skype date with my sweet little, Bree and my wonderful and supportive parents was the perfect ending to my day. I also found a book store in the mall with a selection of English books… so now, I’m off to hopefully [depending on how long my eyes stay open] finish my first book of the summer!
Hope everyone had a great Hump Day! The weekend is quickly approaching and I can't wait for my next adventure! Much love to you all.  
Good Night from Costa Rica!

1 comment:

  1. whit, what kind of question is that?! duh, you go back and buy that top, seafoam will look precious on you! and a bow? total tsm. make me proud!

    ReplyDelete