Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Costa Rica Day 15
This is a blog post from Monday.
First off, I apologize for blogs being posted late. This weekend completely threw me off, but after today... things will be back on track!
After a long weekend, I was glad to wake up in my normal house, in my normal bed, normal shower, and regular breakfast. This past weekend was definitely a blast but traveling that much in a short amount of time also made me extremely exhausted and ready to come home. So today, I am proud to announce that I am under 2 weeks until my return to the beautiful state of Georgia!
Today, thankfully, was a return to the normal lifestyle for me in Costa Rica. Shower was luke warm this morning… so not much complaining there. My mamatica fixed me a delicious breakfast… more fruit and a sandwich, but after being gone all weekend, somehow, everything tasted a little better than normal. After breakfast, I walked to school. I’m becoming more and more like a local everyday. My crossing the street skills have improved drastically and I’ve even picked up on a few short cuts through town. I guess it really does just take time before adjusting becomes easy.
When I got to school today, I had yet again another teacher and classroom. I was immediately disappointed that I didn’t have my same teacher from the previous week. I even wrote a request on my evaluation to have her again, but I guess there is a reason for everything… and so far, I like my new teacher too. Word on the street is that I’ll have her the remaining 2 weeks, but you never know from day to day with that place. I have been incredibly shocked at how many students are at the school. I guess Costa Rica is a popular study abroad destination for students and schools. We have met students from all over that are here studying for different amounts of time. I’m glad to know that other people are going through the same things, and I hope that I can make their first few days/weeks easier by sharing all the things I have learned so far.
After classes today, I wasn’t very hungry, so instead… I went to the grocery store [that is actually owned by Walmart] and bought some shampoo, body wash, crackers [for break time at school] and some special K bars… these 4 items totaled $18!! Yikes! American items are WAY overpriced in this country. But I definitely feel safer using American products, so I splurged and bought the brands I recognized. I’m sure I was getting “looks” from all the locals… “dang Americans” I just imagined them saying. Some things are just worth the money though!
After this shopping spree, I decided to do some retail therapy. I was off to find the fabulous one shoulder shirt that I saw in the mall. It must have been my lucky day, because the first store I walked in had the exact shirt on sale! I grabbed it and went to the register to pay. The lady proceeded to tell me that one shirt was $17 or I could get 2 for $20… so of course being the wise shopper that I am… I picked up another color in the adorable shirt. So I am now the proud owner of two precious one shoulder tops complete with a side bow in two different colors. Thank you Heredia, Costa Rica!
I returned to the house earlier than normal today, so I worked on my homework during the day, read some in my book, and talked with some friends. It always brightens my day to talk with people from back home. I am so glad that I have such amazing people in my life that are worthy of being missed so much. I can’t wait to return home to see all the great things that are in store for us the remaining days of summer!
So until then… I’ll keep pushing on. Lets hope the rest of this week flies by and the days keep counting down! Thinking of you always!
Good night and much love sent to everyone J

No comments:

Post a Comment