Thursday, May 19, 2011

Costa Rica Day 11
Wow! The end of a second week of class. I can’t believe how fast time is flying by, not that I’m complaining though. My heart still belongs in Georgia so I’ll take the next two weeks just as fast, please! It does seem somewhat weird though… a part of me feels like I have been here forever, but then I look at my calendar days [that I eagerly mark off each day] and very quickly the month of May is filling up with pink X’s. 1 more class and 2 more weeks. I have just one request [for now] can someone please have a big diet coke waiting for me at baggage claim on June 5th?!
Today has been another typical day in Heredia. However, today’s shower was not as cold as the other mornings this week, so that was a nice wake up. Breakfast was a variety of fruits along with a ham and cheese sandwich. I left a little later this morning, but still made it to class right on time.
Have I mentioned recently how much I love my teacher this week? I could not have asked for a better teacher in a second week here. I knew that this week would probably be the hardest, but thanks to her, I have adjusted even better this week and I’m ready to tackle the remaining 2 weeks of class. My second test is tomorrow, so send me a few quick prayers in the morning.
After class today, I finished my book. I just couldn’t do it last night… so I read the remaining chapters this afternoon. I definitely recommend Baby Proof by Emily Giffin as a great summer read. Or any of her books for that matter. Her most popular books are a series called Something Borrowed and Something Blue. These are two of my all time favorite books and the first one [Something Borrowed] recently just hit the theaters as a movie. I am dying to see it! It will be one of my first trips when I get back to the States. After reading, I decided to try out the Costa Rican gym. As we were all on the bus last weekend, the West Georgian students decided that everything was going to be different than the States. A hamburger was not the same here. There’s a hamburger and then there’s a Costa Rican hamburger. Animals aren’t animals here… they are Costa Rican animals. And so on and so on. So keeping with our theory, the Costa Rican gym was different, however, pretty much the same as America. Just thought I would report on our new theory for traveling.
I’m not quite sure what I had for dinner tonight. I wanted to take a picture so I could post it online later, but I thought that might be rude. It was a very large fried egg that was stuffed with green beans. I also had two mini pie crusts complete with smushed black beans and guacamole. Ummmm… what happened to all the stuff I was loving!?
I’m starting to feel like I’m getting somewhat repetitive and I don’t like this feeling at all. Blogging has become something that I look forward to everyday. I want things to be fun and exciting for everyone to read, but some days they just aren’t. Some days are just “another day” only in a different country. So with that said, since you all have decided to join this journey with me… if there is ever anything you are curious about or want to know, just feel free to send me a message! Since I’m in the mood to change things up a bit, here is a list of truths from my trip so far.
1.    I have rolled the same ankle 3 times since being here. And yes, it is in fact the same ankle that I broke using my basketball skills back in the day. I mentioned in previous posts about the crazy sidewalks and my ability to get distracted easily...
2.    I have not seen a single bug in my room since being here [knock on wood]. So thanks to all my friends for scaring me.
3.    I haven’t taken longer than 30 minutes to get ready a single day.
4.    Sometimes I flush toilet paper on accident. A quick panic sets in and I always rejoice when it flushes down.
5.    I feel like a grandma because I eat Tums after breakfast. Coffee and all those fruits… yikes!
6.    Although I eat chicken almost every day, I am craving Chick-Fil-A.
7.    I get annoyed when we go places and girls won’t drink beer. Traditionally I know it’s not very “lady like” for women to drink beer, but trying to order a mixed drink in a foreign country is ridiculous. They don’t have drink menus nor do they understand what you’re saying. Give in already and pop-a-top… or atleast order a margarita. Sorry for this truth, mom!
8.    A manicure is only $8 here. I will be receiving one of those after the excursion this weekend.
9.    I love how life here is much simpler than in the States. Everyone here lives the good life. If I was fluent, had hot showers, and could cook my own food, I could see myself retiring here in later years. I love their care free spirit and love for life.
10. I’m stronger than I thought I was. I was convinced I was going to be miserable and extremely homesick by now.
11. I get annoyed when people don’t try at things.it always bothered me in sports but now its with class. For example, the guy in class with me this week says “no se” [I don’t know] for almost every question she asks him. Sometimes it makes me cringe. The least you can do is take a guess… say something!
12. I had to ghetto-rig my camera. The piece that covers the batteries broke off, so I have it duct taped to take pictures, un-duct tape it to upload them to my computer, and then re-duct tape it for the next day. I’m making it work. [sorry again for this truth, mom. you know i'm destructive with cameras]
I promised to be truthful and leave nothing out on this journey. I’m sure many more things are going to be learned from the remaining 2 weeks of class. I can’t wait for this weekends adventures. I am leaving straight from school tomorrow so it may be before Sunday before I’m able to blog again. No worries, I will do a complete weekend post with full details. Keep sending the thoughts and prayers! Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

Click here and check out where I'm spending the weekend!

“Woke up late today and I still feel the sting of the pain
But I brushed my teeth anyway
I got dressed through the mess and put a smile on my face
I got a little bit stronger” -Sara Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment