Monday, May 23, 2011

Costa Rica Day 14
This is a blog from Sunday.
Two weeks down, two to go! What an amazing journey so far! I can’t believe I’m at the half way mark in this adventure. There has been times when I wasn’t sure if this point would ever get here, but I’m proud to say that I have survived the first 2 weeks, and I am looking forward to completing the remaining time here in Costa Rica.
And what better way to celebrate the completion of the fist 14 days than to suspend my life on a wire hanging over a rainforest?!

Yep! The first thing on today’s agenda… Canopying [zip lining] through a rain forest in Monteverde, Costa Rica. Today was an amazing experience! I’m not even going to play it off like I wasn’t scared… I even contemplated if I was going to do it or not quite a few times. But in the end, I gave in to my “live life dangerously” side and proceeded to get strapped into the equipment. Several times while climbing the first flight of stairs… I questioned myself on how much sense this actually made. I mean… hundreds of people do this exact thing every day, but it only takes one time for something to go wrong. Luckily for me, everything went exactly has planned! The first platform I left from was only a short distance to the next one… but it was good start. I got the feel for it and had my nervous/crazy thoughts out of the way. The next several lines were much much longer. And some even came close to the 1 mile mark. I think the scariest part was not being able to see far ahead of me. Since we were so high in the mountains, and above the rainforest, it was extremely cloudy and foggy. I wasn’t able to see the next platform until it was almost time to break. So that part was a little scary and breaking was scary. In order to break on the lines… your dominate hand has to pull up on the wire to slow you down. Of course I couldn’t leave the adventure without a battle womb. I completed the adventure with a huge blister on my right thumb. I guess I had gotten a wore out pair of gloves because I got the massive blister through the gloves. Only me.
After everyone had completed the course [13 zip lines] we headed back to our “resort” to gather our things and head back towards Heredia. This was probably one of the most amazing weekends of my life. However, all of the traveling made it extremely exhausting. We totaled about 10-12 hours of traveling over the weekend. I wouldn’t of done anything differently though. I am so glad that I was able to be a part of this adventure. Definitely some moments that I will never forget for the rest of my life.
We arrived back in Heredia around 5pm last night. I was completely worn out. I skipped out on dinner, skyped with my parents for a little while, read a few chapters of my new book… and then called it an early night.
This weekend's story is complete, but mine is a long way from done. The remaining 2 weeks on this journey is still unwritten.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for taking advantage of everything and making the most of this trip! I am also SO SO SO proud of your B! Yay! The next two weeks will fly by! Keep your positive attitude and savor every minute! I can't wait til you come home and I get to hear all about it! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete