Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Costa Rica Day 16
Right back on track! Finally!
Today had the start of another typical day in Heredia. The shower wasn’t bad this morning, not really hot, but definitely manageable. Breakfast was a little different. Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese… and of course a plate of fruit. The watermelon isn’t that great this week. It isn’t as red or pretty as it has been in the past, so I haven’t been eaten it in the mornings. But I’ll get lucky and get something different in the morning.
Class went well today. We started the day by reviewing our homework. We then joined with another class and did a debate on paparazzi and celebrities. That was very fun and entertaining. All of us were about on the same level speaking wise. We had to look up quite a few words, but eventually, we were able to make sense of everything and establish a great case. After that, my class proceeded to make a newspaper for the remaining part of the day. 2.5 hours spent cutting and pasting together our own newspaper. I’m not exactly sure what the point of today’s assignment was. We didn’t even talk about anything… the articles or why we were doing this. But I’m not complaining. It passed the time very quickly and I didn’t have to struggle to come up with answers/conversation in class.
After class today, we had a scheduled day trip to San Jose, the capital city of Costa Rica. I’ve been wanting to see the capital city since I arrived in Costa Rica, so I knew that today was going to be an awesome adventure. And it started off just the right way… lunch at the food court in the mall. On today’s lunch menu was McDonalds! Whoooo hooooo! Not that I’m a huge fan of McDonalds, actually I prefer to never eat there, but on this occasion.. I was thrilled and was extremely excited to see those golden arches. And perhaps the best part of the meal, it was free! Jackpot! American food for free! After stuffing our faces with good ole greasy burgers, we all loaded the bus and headed towards San Jose. Everyone has been telling me that San Jose is a very dangerous city. I have gotten warning after warning about this city. So I was curious to see what all the precautions were about. After we reached downtown and parked the bus, we began to walk the 4 blocks to our first destination in the city. It didn’t take long to realize what all the fuss was about. San Jose very similarly resembles downtown Atlanta. However, I would compare it more to the worst parts of downtown Atlanta. Although San Jose has beautiful landmarks, nice streets, glamorous hotels and restaurants, and first class shops… the atmosphere of being downtown is very disturbing. Since hundreds of people are everywhere… It is very easy to be robbed while walking downtown. Luckily, I had nothing with me but my camera so I figured I wasn’t a target. 
While trying to cross from the 1st block to the 2nd, a group of guys proceeded to shout... "How much do you cost? Blue eyes!" I'm not exactly sure if they were yelling at me or not, but in that exact moment, a complete scare and panic came over me. Too bad I didn't learn how to say "back off creepers" in Spanish. But regardless if their comments were directed towards me or not, I will never be in San Jose alone. I don’t prefer to walk by myself at night in Heredia, but I am ok with doing it on occasion. But San Jose is a completely different story. Definitely not by myself or even with just a small group of girls for that matter. Completely scary… but a beautiful city.
We reached our first destination in the city. The National Museum of Costa Rica. We saw a lot of cool and interesting things. I took some pretty awesome pictures too. The only downside to this trip, I really wish that we would have had a tour guide through the museum. It would have been really interesting to learn about all the different things that define their culture instead of just seeing them. I’m sure there are some great stories to go along with everything I saw, and maybe one day… I’ll learn them.
After the museum, we went to the market for souvenirs. This place is perhaps my new favorite place… well it at least ranks high with my other favorite locations. This place contains anything you could ever want in a souvenir. And the best thing… it basically functions like a straw market… so bargaining is their number one priority to get sales… and who has awesome shopping skills? ME! I will definitely be returning to work my bargaining magic… not alone of course!
We returned back to Heredia late this afternoon. I was anxious to get back to the house because I forgot to mention to my mamatica that I would be later getting home. However, when I walked through the door… she had dinner waiting for me. Another soup dinner. I’m starting to think if somehow I made the mistake of telling her soup was my favorite. But I actually know the Spanish word for soup and I don’t remember ever saying I liked it or wanted it 4 times a week. But I told her thank you and that it was delicious.
I just crossed off another day in my lovely Lilly planner. Gosh I love seeing those pink marks all over the calendar! Tomorrow is the half way point of the 3rd week and I couldn’t be more excited about the progress I have made since living here. At one point in the straw market today, I had a complete conversation with a vendor. As I started to walk away, I realized exactly what had just happened. I didn’t struggle at all with conversation… I was able to understand everything she was telling me and reply with full sentences… even discussing some possible prices for items. It was a great feeling as I was walking away. And I realized that speaking comes so much easier when I’m not thinking about it. Hopefully I’ll continue to make progress throughout this week and the next.
I’ll end this post by sharing a few lyrics from a song that randomly popped into my head today… I couldn’t listen to the actual song because I knew that it would make me sad… but I did google the lyrics to share. I hope everyone had a wonderful day. Keep the prayers and thoughts coming my way. Only 12 more days until I’m Georgia bound!
Buenos Noches familia y amigas![Good night family and friends]
“Another summer day
Has come and gone away
But I wanna go home.
Maybe surrounded by
A million people, I
Still feel all alone
And I wanna go home.
And it feels just like I’m living someone else’s life.
It’s like I stepped outside
When everything was going right.
And I know just why you could not
Come along with me.
This was not your dream
But you always believed in me.
Another airplane, another sunny place
I’m lucky I know, but I wanna go home.
I’ve got to go home, let me go home.
I’m just too far from where you are,
I wanna come home.”
-Home by Blake Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment