Friday, June 3, 2011

Costa Rica Day 26
I have officially completed my 4 weeks of studying in Costa Rica!! My final grade was a 86… so close to an A, but I’m completely happy with a B. I can’t believe how quickly this month has gone by. At times it felt like I would never return home, but as I’m sitting here tonight… it’s almost bitter sweet leaving this beautiful place. Not to confuse this with my complete excitement for returning home… but I’ve just met so many wonderful people here and formed some great relationships… it’s hard to say goodbye. 4 weeks is exactly long enough to get comfortable with people, form relationships, and then say goodbye.
After my test today, we had graduation. I got a pretty little certificate that will definitely be going on the fridge at home. When we were finally dismissed from school, I went to lunch with a group from West Georgia. We sat there for almost two hours and talked about our whole adventure here in Costa Rica. We can look back and laugh at everything now and it’s a great feeling to see how far I’ve come. There were definitely moments when I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it… times when I doubted myself. But perhaps the greatest lesson I have learned from this entire experience is to never doubt yourself. Believe. If you don’t believe in yourself, then it’s hard to accomplish much of anything. That is a life lesson that I will truly hold dear to my heart after this journey. I know that I can do so much more than I ever thought. Not that I have other plans to live in a different country… but I know that I could make it. With the love and support from friends and family, and believing in myself… anything is possible!
When I returned to the house after lunch… I talked with my mamatica for a few minutes and then laid down to read some more of my book. I read a good 20 pages or so, and then fell asleep to the sound of another afternoon shower in Heredia, Costa Rica. I’m still not a fan of afternoon naps… I’m wide awake right now.. but I just couldn’t keep my eyes open during the storm today.
I ate dinner with my family tonight. I had a delicious plate of spaghetti. My mamatica also surprised me with a gift and baked me a cake. She made me a lemon pound cake, since I love lemonade so much… I guess she made the connection with “lemon”… haha… She is completely precious. I skyped with my parents for a while after dinner. I can see the excitement and relief on my mom’s face when I talk to her now. I know that she is more excited than I am that this month is almost over.. I know it took a lot for them to agree to this, so again.. I just want to say thanks to my parents! This has meant more to me that you will ever know.. and it’s all because you believe in me and are committed to making my dreams come true.
So now, here I am… sitting in my room and a million things are running through my head. My last complete day spent in Heredia. A place that I have grown to love. A place that is marked as my first big life journey and a place/journey/adventure/month that I’ll never ever forget.
I checked my facebook messages and received one of the nicest letters anyone has ever written me. I hope she doesn’t mind that I’m sharing this with you all… but it completely touched my heart… so here it is:
“Hello sir, So I just finished reading your blog. Thank you for making me hysterical. Since I haven't been able to see your pretty face via Skype recently...I haven't been able to tell you this, so I'm writing you this note (which is probably better considering you hate crying). But I just wanted you to know that I am SO incredibly proud of you for going to Costa Rica and doing SO WELL over there. I admire you so much...I know I never would have made it. My ass would've been on a plane back to GA after one week. I hope you know what an inspiration you are to me. I love how fearless you are. In every aspect of your life...you always take risks and jump into things head first, never looking back. I wish I could be more like that...not so scared of everything. My life has NOT been the same since you left. Not being able to text you at the drop of a hat, when I have a random thought, or when something ridiculous happens that we need to discuss...it has literally been awful for me. It's really proven to me just how important your friendship is to me. Having you in my life means so much to me and I just wanted you to know that. Again...I am SO proud of you...now get your ass HOME! I love you to the moon & back!”     -Lauren
I had a feeling that this would happen… but I wasn’t prepared to shed tears until Sunday at the airport. But thank you so much Lauren for that amazing letter! You are an amazing woman and I am so blessed to have you in my life!
Tomorrow, I’m headed to spend one more day at the beautiful beaches in Costa Rica.  We are making a one day trip, so apparently leaving at 6 in the morning is a necessity. Weirdly enough, if it’s for the beach… I don’t really mind! I will, however, splurge on a bottle of sunscreen tomorrow… I don’t want to be FRIED when I get all those hugs at the airport in only TWO short-short days!!! J
♥ Fearless ♥
“Fearless is not the absence of fear. It’s not being completely unafraid. To me, fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, being fearless is living life despite all of those things.” –T. Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment