Thursday, June 2, 2011

Costa Rica Day 25
Today was my last real day of class here in Costa Rica! Man how time flies when you’re having fun! Ok, well it hasn’t been all fun all the time… but this has definitely been a adventure that I will never forget. 28 days… 4 weeks of class… 4 tests… 4 oral communication exams… and 4 weekend excursions = 1 month in Costa Rica. I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in the world [except maybe a real diet coke right now]. But on a serious note, I will be forever thankful that I got to have this experience of a lifetime. I never would of thought I would of made it this far…but with only 3 days left… I think it’s safe to say that I successfully lived in another country.
Today, has been yet again, another typical day in Heredia. Everything now is simply a routine. But I guess maybe the most important thing to report from this morning is that my leg is looking much better. The [whatever it is] has decreased in size and some of the redness has also gone away. It doesn’t hurt as much as it has, so maybe that’s a good sign! I’m still using whatever cream my Mamatica gave me… so hopefully it will heal up soon! There is a part of me that still wants to know what I was bitten by, but then again.. maybe some things are better left unknown. That’s my only news update from this morning… breakfast was the same and then I headed to school for my last real day of class.
Except when I got to class, my teacher “had a long night last night”, so he brought in a movie for us to watch! And then we finished off the day with a little Spanish Scrabble. I’m not a fan of this game in my own language, so I sure didn’t like it when I had to spell out Spanish words… but it was better than writing paragraphs and answering questions… so I was just fine with wasting the whole class day!
After class, two other students and I went back to San Jose to visit the straw market for souvenirs. We decided that it would be much much cheaper to take the bus instead of a taxi. So here I was, on my last week in Costa Rica, and finally about to get my first public transportation experience. Not a fan. We thankfully got a seat on the bus, but I’m not sure if that was suppose to a plus or not. The bus was crowded which meant people standing and breathing over me. Gross. Not to mention it was a good 1,000 degrees on the bus and it was sprinkling [barely] raining so that meant we had to shut the windows. Not to be American and complain… but can I get some AC?! PLEASE!
We arrived in San Jose and headed straight towards the market… 10 blocks. It seems like I spend the majority of my day walking.. and then walking some more. And when I think I’m done… I walk some more. I didn’t want to jinx it so I haven’t said anything until now, but my shorts are definitely fitting looser. Maybe I can bring this new trend of walking everywhere back to the States… or maybe I’ll just hop in the Runner and she can take me where I need to go! Anyways, we arrived at the straw market and I purchased all of my souvenirs today! I want to so badly post everything I got and the prices, but that would give away some of the gifts… so I will save that for a later post. A post for when I’m sitting on my bed at home. We had a great time shopping around and then we grabbed some lunch. Yum yum KFC. I’ve never had a chicken sandwich taste so delicious. We then shopped around town for a little while longer before heading back towards the bus stop to board that dreaded bus ride back to Heredia.
When I returned to Heredia, I made the walk to the house and ate dinner with my family. Rice, beans, and chicken soup for dinner… definitely not anything I would have picked off a menu but tomorrow night will be my last meal with them so I took it like a champ. Tonight, will be spent reviewing some notes for my final test in the morning. After my test, I have graduation at 10:30! Yay for me! I would love to call it a day after that, but I’ sure I’ll have to go back to the classroom and sit around for the remaining class time. Yuck.
That’s about all I have from Heredia tonight. Another routine day but most importantly, another day closer to coming back home. A big big big thank you to my wonderful and supportive parents and grandmother. I would not be the person I am today without all of your love and support. I’m not sure what I did to deserve ya’ll, but I’m so thankful that I have you! Also, to all my other friends and family back home: Thank you so much to everyone who joined in on this adventure with me! I hope you’ve enjoyed reading everything as much as I have enjoyed writing. I’m sad to see my journey come to an end, but more than excited to be surrounded by all of you again when I come home!        
I dedicate this to all of you that have supported me on this journey. I could never thank you enough for your continuous thoughts, love, support, and prayers. I love ya’ll J

1 comment:

  1. You would post THAT song...thanks for making me hysterical. Oooh my goodness I am so excited for you to be HOME! In good ol' G-A! I can barely stand it!

    ReplyDelete